Sunday, December 8, 2013

An Old Love Poem

When I was growing up, there was a plaque on the dining room wall that had dried flowers surrounding a bit of cursive writing. The poem was called The Rose. I asked my parents about it and my mother told me that, on the day of her and my fathers wedding, my fathers friend had given it to them as a wedding gift. My mother had always thought that his friend had had a bit of a crush on her and was a bit saddened when she went and married my father. It was my favorite poem for several years especially since it goes hand in hand with my fondness for flowers.

The Rose

A single rose
to you I give
And no one else today
This rose I hope
Will make you smile
As you go on your way

A single rose
So nice indeed
I hope will make your day
To show my love
Is strong for you
No matter what others say

Yet we know
This rose will wilt too soon
It will not last forever
But my love for you
The love between us
I hope nothing will sever

So take this rose today
Do think of me and smile
This rose will wilt, we know
But I will stay a while.

4 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful poem, and I haven't read it before. I like the use of imagery that is used to show the love that the rose represents. Thanks for posting the background story about the poem and your parents... it was very interesting and added a personal touch that made the poem more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem reminds me of one I was given about 15 years ago when my grandmother passed away. I wrote music for the poem and recorded it as a song to be played at her funeral and it was quite similar in the sense that the imagry of the rose to love or aspects of life and death can have powerful meaning to it.

    http://www.childrenofdome.com/Rose.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its interesting how beautifully written poems such as this can connect people and even strangers! Its a nice thing about art in general, that can show us that we all have similar experiences and can relate to one an other somehow! I especially enjoy how this poem relays basically every relationship someway. Weather it be a friend a loved one or a lover, you go through the diforent stages or steps in the relationship eventually! That connection will always be with you as an individual and hopefully help you grow as a person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the 3-line pattern in the opening section!
    It can catch the reader off-guard, and really creativity sucks the reader into the feeling of the piece.

    I really like the idea of setting of a rhetorical "Environment" for an audience. It's almost like you can build a world around them as they read what you've written. It's a neat skill to cultivate.

    ReplyDelete